If You Are New To Exercise Avoid These Mistakes
Look we have all been there. We have gotten a bit lack luster on our eating and working out and find that we now have to go t the “dreaded” gym and get our butts in gear so when stack the chips in our favor when it comes to weight loss, blood sugar control and managing our type 1 diabetes.
I wanted to write this blog because I want people to feel great about getting in shape. I know for mnay, it can cause anxiety especially because they are insecure about how they look and not totally clear on how to actually find success.
The last thing you want is to make simple stupid mistakes that not only hinder your ability to lose weight and gain lean muscle mass so you can more easily manage your blood sugars and improve insulin sensitivity but also look like a newbie at the gym.
So here are 9 things to avoid if you want to hit the ground running and ensure your new transformation plan stays on track and is successful.
- Don’t overwhelm yourself. I can’t tell you the number of people who come to me and say I want to lose 30 pounds in the next 2 months. Listen that is not going to happen if you are doing things in a sustainable way. Fad and crash diets may get you there temporarily but set you up for more weight gain, more insulin resistance, more fat gain and a slower metabolism then if you do it the right way. I know instant gratification is what we all want, but it’s not going to happen.
- Not tracking anything. It’s true what they say, what you track and measure improves. So get in the habit of tracking your food, your workouts, your blood sugars, your insulin requirements. Once you begin to pay attention to these things, you can see patterns emerge and chances are you will also be more aware of the things you are doing that may be sabotaging your results.
- Just winging it. You must have a plan, people with plans, goals and specific strategies to get there succeed far more often and in bigger ways than those who just wing it. I know it takes more time and effort to lay out a plan, do the research and actually hold yourself accountable to it, but it will undoubtedly help you achieve your weight loss and blood sugar goals faster than you ever thought possible.
- Thinking there is a magic pill. Weight loss and blood sugar control takes effort and education. I wish there were a magic pill you could take to melt fat away and get tight glucose control, but it won’t happen unless you are paying attention to nutrition and fitness as well. Supplements of course can aid you with weight loss and insulin sensitivity, but in and of themselves they are not a one stop solution. You have to have the discipline and do the work to truly transform your health and body.
- Missing workouts. I know it is tempting but dedicate yourself to something for 3 months and no matter what stick to it. Of course you need to listen to your body and pay attention to what works best for you. One things I’ve done in the past if I’m incredibly sore and don’t think a weight session is appropriate, is doing light cardio for 40 minutes instead. It’s not idea, but it still gets me in the gym, gets my blood pumping and trains my brain to know that I’m in this for the long haul and not quitting or giving up no matter what!
- Hitting the gym too much. You need to give your body the time to recover and grow. If you are going to the gym 7 days a week and going balls to the wall, you are actually doing yourself more harm than good. This has and continues to be a tough lesson for me because I love the gym and admit that when I don’t go I feel guilty and less confident. So I have to remind myself often that the days when I don’t go are actually healthy for by body and moving me in the right direction.
There you go 6 mistakes to avoid if you are a new gym goer (in fact these work for anyone regardless if you’ve gone to the gym your whole life or are just starting out).
You can change your health and your body and stack the chips in your favor so you can successfully manage type 1 diabetes.
I KNOW you can do it!If you want to learn more about how to lose weight quickly and easily with type 1 diabetes, watch this video ==>